February is Black History Month in Canada. ESS Support Services is joining people across the country to honour the legacy and recognize the contributions, both past and present, of Black people in Canada and their communities.
The 2023 theme for Black History Month is: “Ours to tell”.
Black History Month is “both an opportunity to engage in open dialogue and a commitment to learning more about the stories Black communities in Canada have to tell about their histories, successes, sacrifices and triumphs.” – Canada.ca
We invite you all to learn more about these communities, and how they continue to help shape our country.
- More information can be found here: About Black History Month
- Explore and join the full schedule of events, exhibits, and activities occurring in the City of Toronto: City of Toronto-Black History Month
- Resources for Black caregiver communities: Ontariocaregiver.ca
- Toronto Public Library reading lists, programs and events honouring Black history and culture: Toronto Public Library Calendar
- Other events such as concert series, Toronto Black Film Festival, and local Black-owned vendor markets: Black History Month events in Toronto starting this week | The Star
- Black Health Alliance: Community Services Resource Hub (Toronto)