Join Our Team of Volunteers!
Volunteers are integral to what we do at ESS. Nearly 200 volunteers support our programs, services and fundraising initiatives. They are central to every effort we undertake and we could not accomplish what we do without them. Their contributions allow us to touch and significantly improve the individuals we aim to remain well and living independently in their own homes and community.
Many of our volunteers have been supporting ESS for many years. As a volunteer, you’ll have the opportunity to meet new people, learn new skills and gain experience, and make a meaningful contribution through supporting seniors and their families in our local community.
No matter what your interests, goals and availability might be, there are a broad spectrum of volunteer opportunities open in ESS, including but not limited to:
- Adult Day Programs/Seniors’ Lunch Programs – Volunteers assist the staff team with kitchen help, as well as participate in client-centered activities. Commitment Requirements: Minimum 1 day per week 9:30am – 2:30pm for a minimum 6 months.
- Friendly Visiting – Volunteers are matched with a senior to make social calls virtually through video calls or telephone calls. Hours of volunteering are typically 1-2 hours per week with a minimum commitment of 6-12 months.
- Board Of Directors/Committees – ESS is governed and led by a volunteer body of 12 Board Directors. Volunteers on the Board bring a variety of professional experience and skills such as finance, human resources, business, law, community support, fundraising, advocacy, nursing, program analysis and policy development.
- Fundraising and Events – Volunteer opportunities vary and depend on agency-organized events and projects. Examples include galas, walks and seasonal events.
- Transportation (currently suspended until further notice) – Volunteers are matched with a senior to provide an escorted ride. Volunteer drivers use their own vehicle to drive the client to/from appointments and social events. Hours of volunteering are typically 1-3 hours per week with a minimum commitment of 6-12 months. ESS offers monetary reimbursement to volunteer drivers, in the form of a tax receipt or $0.61 cents per kilometer travelled.
Student Placements – We also welcome students interested in completing placements. Our Adult Day Services program provides supervision and support for frail and or cognitively impaired adults. Those who join us gain first-hand experience in delivering the social, recreational and physical activities, meals and personal care so important in helping clients achieve and maintain their maximum level of functioning. A placement at ESS gives students a critical opportunity to apply theories learned in the classroom in a supportive environment alongside highly skilled and experienced professionals. Contact our Volunteer Services team for more information.
If you are interested in helping seniors, adults with disabilities and their families live more fully and independently in their homes and the community – we would love to hear from you and how you would like to help as part of our Team!
For questions, contact our Volunteer Services Team at: 416-243-0127 ext. 505 or email@example.com.
Please note: Due to a system error, online applications are down. Please reach out to Sherry, firstname.lastname@example.org to APPLY. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. If you applied in the last month, please follow up with Sherry.
Please Apply Through this link: ESS Volunteer Application
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Position : Seniors’ Lunch Program Volunteer
Volunteers support the program by preparing for and cleaning up after lunch service, participating in group socialization and helping with program activities. This is a program for independent seniors.
Position : Adult Day Services Volunteer
Support our day program by preparing for and cleaning up after lunch service, with the option to also participate in group socialization and help with program activities. This program is for older adults with cognitive impairments and physical frailties. Currently recruiting for the following locations: 30 Rosemount Ave. (York), Toronto and 2245 Lawrence Ave. W., Etobicoke.