We are excited to have opened the doors to our new Senior Respite Centre on April 6, 2021. Take a tour.
What is our new Centre?
Our new Centre is a 6,000 square foot purpose-built program space that will be the home of a new onsite Caring Centre, providing short-term, overnight respite care for seniors, older adults, and their caregivers in the community. It will also incorporate a recreational Adult Day Program that provides support to adults and seniors who have a cognitive impairment, allowing caregivers to receive some respite during the day to rest, recharge and complete everyday tasks.
- A bright, open and secure space with a universal design specially made and fitted to support seniors and older adults with cognitive impairments;
- All of the comforts of home, including 8 fully-furnished bedrooms, full kitchen and dining space;
- Accessible washrooms and shower facilities;
- Recreational programming space;
- Personal Support Workers available for around-the-clock care and companionship;
- Staff offices.
“We are very excited to open this new Centre. It will provide 24/7 care for clients in need of overnight respite. Individuals whose caregivers may have to go away, for example for business or other trips, or who just may need a break, will be able to book a short-stay for their loved ones in our onsite Caring Centre. It will also incorporate an Adult Day Program to be enjoyed by clients staying overnight. The need to provide such a facility to help caregivers get a break from time to time is critical. It will be a safe and welcoming ‘home-away-from-home’.” – Alison Coke, CEO, ESS Support Services
Location: 30 Rosemount Avenue, York, ON M9N 3B3
Supporters of our Senior Respite Centre
We wish to pay a special thank you to everyone who made a donation towards our new Centre in our summer 2020 GIVE65 fundraising campaign with Home Instead Senior Care Foundation of Canada, along with St. James’s Gate Irish Pub for donating a portion of take-out meal sales on May 21, 2020. We received an amazing gross total of $17,860 that we were able to put towards supporting start-up operations, including the purchase of appliances:
- 2 washing machines
- 2 dryers
- 2 refrigerators
- 1 deep freezer
- 1 dishwasher
- 1 wall oven
- 1 cooktop and ventilation system
We would also like to thank the Central Local Health Integration Network for their on-going program funding, as well as the following individuals who have been instrumental in taking our Centre from an idea and moving it into a reality.
- MPP Faisal Hassan, York South-Weston
- Councillor Frances Nunziata, York South-Weston
- Dave Bennett, Chair, Weston Village Residents’ Association