*UPDATE* Thanks to the generosity and support of our donors, together we raised over $9,500 for the operations of our Mobile Food Bank. This includes over $2,900 matching funds from Home Instead Charities. With gratitude, ESS Support Services.
ESS operates a Mobile Food Bank program that delivers nutritious food hampers to older adults who are unable to access other food banks in Etobicoke. Over 50 people depend on this program to receive food and to eat on a weekly basis.
SAVE THE DATE: This #GivingTuesday, on November 29th, we are raising funds to support the operations of our Mobile Food Bank program, which is removing obstacles to food access amongst the vulnerable members of our community. View our event flyer for more information.
HOW TO MAKE A DONATION: Visit our #GivingTuesday fundraising page on November 29th to make a secure online donation. We are partnering with Home Instead Charities, who is offering up to $5,000 of matching dollars. This means your donation on GivingTuesday can potentially be doubled.
OUR GIVINGTUESDAY FUNDRAISING PAGE: www.give65.ca/esssupportservices
***Matching dollars are given on a first come, first served basis and are limited. The best chance of having your donation matched, is by making it as early as possible on November 29th. GivingTuesday opens at 12AM EST November 29th. Only donations made on our fundraising page are eligible to be matched.
ABOUT OUR MOBILE FOOD BANK
- Food insecurity affects almost 1 in 5 Toronto households and is a serious public health issue. – City of Toronto
- According to the Daily Bread Food Bank and North York Harvest 2021 Who’s Hungry report, Toronto Food Banks have seen the highest number of food bank visits ever recorded in the city’s history. In 2021, there were close to 1.45 million visits; a 47% increase compared to the prior year.
- In 2021, ESS became a member of the Daily Bread Food Bank and established our own Mobile Food Bank program to help address the increase in food insecurity in our local community.
- Our program delivers weekly food hampers to vulnerable older adults who are experiencing obstacles to accessing other food banks. Barriers include having to wait on foot in long lines, or not having the means to get to food banks and transport food home.
- These food hampers offer a reliable food source that includes nutritious staples such as fresh produce and proteins each week.
- Since opening, our Mobile Food Bank program has grown from supporting 20 clients per month, to over 50. Today, we order, package, and deliver over 250 food hampers per month.
Your support this #GivingTuesday will help us continue operating our Mobile Food Bank, which many community members depend on to receive food and to eat.
STORIES FROM COMMUNITY MEMBERS USING OUR MOBILE FOOD BANK