April 16th represents National Advance Care Planning Day in Canada. It’s a day to encourage having essential conversations between individuals and family members about your wishes and values for your future health care.
What is advance care planning?
“Advance care planning is the process of thinking about what matters most to you and planning for your health and personal care if you ever get sick or injured and can’t speak for yourself.” – Advance Care Planning Canada
Watch: 5 steps of advance care planning by Advance Care Planning Canada
Resources and guides to get you started to think about what you want and who would speak up for you if you couldn’t speak up for yourself:
- My Speak Up Plan – an interactive workbook to guide you in creating your own plan
- Conversation Starters – tips on how to get the conversation started with your family
- How well do you know me? – a playful game to test your family and friends knowledge
- In case of emergency advance care planning wallet card
- Tools & resources for health care professionals
Source: Advance Care Planning Canada – visit their website for their full directory of resources and tools.