Please follow this page for ongoing agency updates during the COVID-19 pandemic. Updates will also be sent through our eNews system. Subscribe to receive updates through email. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Happy Ramadan to all the people and communities who are observing this month of celebration. The Canadian Muslim COVID-19 Task Force has put together some tips, FAQs and resources on how to celebrate Ramadan safely during this time. Read these here.
Click to view agency updates from our CEO:
Click to view:
Spreadsheet of all of the vaccination and testing sites in the City (use the tabs at the bottom to view either vaccination or testing sites)
ESS Response to COVID-19: Program and Service Update
One of ESS’ ongoing priorities is the health and safety of its clients, volunteers and staff. ESS is currently working with the Location Health Integration Network (LHIN) and Public Health in effort to monitor and reduce the risk of potential transmission of COVID-19.
Due to the heightened risk of exposure to the virus in group settings ESS has suspended in-person group programs until further notice. Please see below for program & service updates:
- Adult Day Programs – taking place online and/or via teleconference for existing clients
- Assisted Living services – operating as usual
- Caregiver Support Groups – taking place online
- In-home Respite services – operating as usual
- Exercise & Falls Prevention programs – taking place online and/or via teleconference
- Overnight Respite (Caring Centre) services – open; only private rooms available
- Seniors’ Lunch Program – taking place online and/or via teleconference
- Transportation services – open for essential purposes only, vaccination appointments and grocery delivery services
- Volunteer programs – select opportunities currently available
- Volunteer Visiting & Telephone Reassurance – taking place online and/or via the telephone
We will also continue with assessing clients for our programs and services. Our main administrative office staff are working from home. Our phones and e-mails will be managed as usual, and voice messages will be regularly monitored. Our main administrative office is currently closed to visitors.
Ongoing screening of staff and clients:
We have briefed ourselves on the virus, using the best science available and drawing from international, national, provincial and local pandemic experts. The arrangements being put into place, for the protection of staff, clients, caregivers and volunteers, are based on this science. We have put in place:
- mandatory client and caregiver screening and staff self-screening requirements before providing service;
- special staff training and refreshers on COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control and the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment;
- heightened rules of practice and processes if we become aware of a client at risk or showing symptoms.
Recognizing that many of our clients and caregivers are vulnerable and isolated, over this period, staff will be checking in with impacted clients and caregivers. If special issues or needs are identified, such as shortages of food, to the extent that ESS is able, we will collaborate with our clients and caregivers to determine how to address these needs.
Your support in helping us continue with these measures is critical and very much appreciated. Please consider making a donation to ESS as we continue to do our best to ensure the needs of our clients and caregivers are met during this time, while keeping everyone safe.