ESS has partnered with Toronto Public Health (TPH) to support a Diabetes Prevention Peer Leadership Program.
This program is part of the Diabetes Prevention Strategy at TPH to provide culturally appropriate and accessible health education for adults who are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes in Toronto. This program is delivered through a Peer Leadership Grant from TPH.
The objectives of this peer-led health promotion program is to:
- Increase knowledge and awareness of type 2 diabetes risk factors among population groups most at risk & how to reduce their risk factors through healthy eating & physical activity.
- Increased opportunities for population groups most at risk to make healthy choices.
- Implement peer-led health education sessions that are accessible to adults most at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
As part of this TPH Grant we have committed to:
- Recruiting 6 community residents to be trained as peer leaders for the diabetes prevention program.
- Delivering 6, 6-week diabetes prevention education programs led by the trained peer leaders.
- Delivering these education programs in targeted neighbourhoods of East Mall, West Mall, Capri, Willowridge and the Kingsview Village-The Westway.
For more information about this initiative, please call ESS at 416-243-0127.